Thursday, October 6, 2011

New creatures

Well, the laying chickens were sent back for the summer to my friends farm, just because I felt so bad that they were in an enclosed space with the heat. (City regulations does not let them be free roaming.)

The weather is cooling down slowly (high of possibly 90F today.) So earlier in the summer I had decided to get some meat chickens for the fall. Can't be that hard, right?


The original plan was to go in on an order with another person, but that didn't work out. And hatcheries have minimum orders so what started out as 8-10 chicks is now 16! I had ordered 15, and the hatchery threw in an extra.


I drove to the local hatchery to pick them up and got them home, set them up in the brooder, no problem. Except in a couple of days I realized it was going to be too small. So, the layer hens are not back yet so that became the new brooder. Works really good. I also got their 'chicken tractor' build so that is complete as well and they will move in there as soon as they don't need the brooder light at night.


These chickens can grow! I didn't weight them when I got them last Wednesday but last Saturday I did and they were 2-3 oz average. Then I weighed them this wednesday and they were 5-6 oz. Which the exception of the 'extra' chicken. That one is still just over 2 oz and probably feels that it is living with giants.

No comments:

Post a Comment