Monday, July 19, 2010

Planting and canning

A busy week! Planted all but 6 of the squash. Due to the heat I lost a couple in the transplant process. And before I planted I had to pick off all the squash vine borer eggs that had been laid on the plants. So about 30-36 squash/ pumpkins plants and the soybean as well. Still have the sunflowers and tomatoes but will get there. Plus I need to figure out where the Malabar Spinach is going.

Meanwhile, I tried my first attempt at canning. Make peach jam, peach preserves, two types of peach butter and some peach/strawberry ice cream base which I need to freeze tonight and tomorrow. All the peaches were from my peach tree so that was cool. Actually I am not a big peach fan but I have the tree so might as well. There are still a few peaches left but they are on the small side and I am losing 1 -3/day to squirrel and birds. There are some nice ones towards the top of the tree but that would require climbing the tree so that might have to wait a little. I hope to post a pic of all the canning stuff later. It is still cooling and I wanted to wait until 24 hrs to move it around a bunch, plus I need to label it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment